FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
|Minimum Required Donation||NONE|
|Minimum Walker Age||NONE|
|Minimum Volunteer Age||NONE|
ABOUT THE WALK
1. How do I register? Registrations can be taken over the phone when you call our office at 1-800-227-2108 or you may register for walk MS online.
2. What if there is rain/snow? This event is held in any type of weather - rain, sleet, snow, etc!!! If extreme weather would cause the event to be cancelled, this information will be available by calling the Chapter office or on the radio/TV.
3. What is the route like? Are there a lot of hills? When designing our routes, we try to keep the number of hills to a minimum. If at all possible, we will detour our routes around large hills or areas that may cause problems for some walkers.
4. What if I cannot walk the entire length of the route? There are support vehicles (SAGs) along each of the routes that can provide you with a ride back to the start/finish location. Please feel free to stop and rest at one of our rest stops or anywhere along the route as well! Don’t feel rushed—we want you to enjoy the day and the walk!
5. How do you determine the length of the route? We feel it is necessary to have a route that is accessible for EVERYONE. Although we realize that some of our participants are able and willing to walk further, there are also those who cannot, and our goal is to have everyone walking together, united for a cause.
6. I cannot walk but I would like to volunteer. What opportunities are there for volunteering? Volunteers are always welcome! We utilize the knowledge and ideas of our volunteers before the walk, through our various committees at each site. Volunteers also help with PR and brochure distribution. On the day of the event, volunteers are needed to help with greeting, registration/check-in, rest stops, lunch, set-up/tear down crew, photography, finish-line celebration, etc. Please call the chapter office for more details on volunteering or sign up online. And don’t forget, volunteers can fundraise and be a part of a team as well!!!
7. How do I form a Team? A team consists of 4 or MORE participants and/or volunteers. Designate a team captain and pick a team name and you’re on your way! When registering, each team member should indicate the team name on his/her registration form. Team categories include Friends & Family, Organizations, Schools and Corporate teams.
8. What should I do with my cash? Cash should be turned in at the walk site in your donation envelope. While it is not required, you can change cash to checks.
9. Who should checks be made payable to? “National Multiple Sclerosis Society” It is also helpful to indicate the person who should receive credit for the donation in the bottom, left corner of the check.
10. Where do my dollars go? The money you raise will directly benefit the 6,100 individuals and their families living with MS in Central PA, as well as nearly 3 million people across the country whose lives have been affected by MS. This money provides services, education, literature and assistance to your fellow community members.
11. I would like to receive donations online. How do I do this? Anyone who registers for the walk is automatically set up to receive e-pledges (online donations)! If you did not register online but you’d like to take advantage of the online tools, give us a call. A NMSS staff member will need to know your name, email address and your walk site.
12. Can our team captain hand in all of our donations? Your team captain can hand in all donations at once, however, we do strongly suggest that the captain indicate how much each person on the team has raised or keep each individual’s money in separate envelopes. This will allow us to keep more accurate records in our database and assure that each person will receive due credit (and possible prizes) for his or her fundraising efforts.
13. When do I get my prize? Prizes are awarded for raising $100 or more. Prizes are not cumulative from the $200 level and above. Anyone who turns in $100 prior to/at the walk may pick up their walk t-shirts at the event. All other prize requests will be fulfilled after the event, typically no sooner than 2 months after the walk date. Prize request forms will be sent out after the walk. In order to be eligible for a prize, a person must turn in the specified dollar amount for that prize level AND their completed prize request form. Prizes are given on an INDIVIDUAL basis, not according to how much a Team raised as a whole. We do not automatically send prizes…the walker MUST request it. A walker may opt to FORFEIT their prize as well.
14. What is the purpose of the prize structure? We like to reward our walkers for raising money and awareness for MS. Participants can select one prize that falls within their fundraising total OR they can opt out of a prize, thereby allowing more money to be used for local programs and the national research effort.
15. May I bring my dog to the Walk? Dogs are NOT permitted at the Lancaster site. While dogs are welcome along our State College route, they are not permitted within the check-in area (with the exception of service dogs). Your 4-legged friends are welcome to walk with you at all other sites! Please keep your dog on a leash at all times and please respect other walkers that are there without dogs.
16. May I ride my bike or rollerblades? For the safety of your fellow walkers, bikes and rollerblades/heelys are not allowed.
17. Does the Society pay for all of the food at the sites? All of the food and drinks that are provided at rest stops and lunch, as well as door prizes or goodie bags, are donated to us by our generous friends within the community. Please take the time to thank these generous sponsors by giving them your business.
1. I forgot my Username and Password.
Remember that your username and password are case sensitive. Click here to find your password. You will receive an e-mail with your username and password. If you still have problems, please contact us at email@example.com.
2. How do I change my Username and/or Password?
First, login to the site using your username and password. Once logged in you will see a link at the top of the page called "Update My Profile." Once in your profile, you will be able to change your contact information, e-mail address, username and password. All changes will be made to your account immediately. There is no need to sign in again.
3. How do I unsubscribe from e-mail?
Towards the bottom of each e-mail message there is a link stating, "Click Here to Unsubscribe from this E-mail Message." Click this link and follow the instructions given to unsubscribe.
1. What is a Personal Page?
A personal page is an online promotional tool for your use when asking your friends and family to join your team or sponsor you by making a donation. Once you sign up for an event online, by default, you will have a personal page created for you. You have the option of personalizing this page by going to your Walk Center. You will be able to customize images, text and the style/color layout of the page.
2. By default I have a personal page, do I have to change it?
Once you sign up for an event online, by default, you will have a personal page created for you. A compelling personal page attracts and engages supporters. While you can spread the word using customized e-mail solicitations, your personal campaign page can be your own creative expression of your commitment to the cause. Customize your page by selecting the layout and style that work best for you. Utilize the elements of text, photo and status indicators to their fullest advantage.
3. How do I change my personal fundraising goal?
First, you will need to login to your Walk Center. On the bottom right side of the Walk Center home page is the location to modify your personal fundraising goal. Enter your new goal and submit the changes.
4. How do I change my team name, team division or team goal?
Only the team captain has the ability to change the team name or team division. The team captain will need to login to his/her walk center and click the "My Team Progress" button on the top right. On the Team Progress page, team captains will have the ability to update the team name, division and goal.
5. How can I see who has donated to me?
Login to the site using your Username and Password. Go to your Walk Center and click the "My Progress" tab; this will allow you to view your donor list and any amounts having been donated.
6. How can I see who is on my team?
Login to the site using your Username and Password. Go to your Walk Center and click the "Team Progress" tab; this will allow you to view your team roster and the amounts raised by each team member.
7. What is a team message?
Simply go to your Walk Center and click the "Update Message to Team" button. This will allow you to make all necessary changes to your team message.
8. What is the difference between making my personal page private or public?
By default, a personal page is Public, meaning your name will appear in the participant search list, and anyone accessing the site will be able to support you. Setting your personal page to Private means your name will not appear in the participant search list, and only people you personally invite will be able to support you.